NotesOnVideo: Kitting out a Sony NEX-FS100 Part 2: Lenses
NotesOnVideo: Kitting out a Sony NEX-FS100: Part 1
Again, the objective was to to kit out an NEX-FS100 with a total budget of no more than $19,000 - including camera - for shooting an indie feature.
Rules of the Game
Feel free to make your own suggestions; there's no "right" answer. However, there is a budget, so if you suggest something additional - or more expensive - than the current choice, also indicate what you would do away with!
When it came to accessories, I didn't really have much input, so here's the list for a Shoulder rig, focus puller and matte box.
Rigs are sort of personal, and probably your body shape plays a big part too! I've tried some rigs and hated them - so I would never buy one without trying it out first.
I might be tempted to get a cheaper focus unit, but Zacuto builds strong stuff and stands behind it. For those reasons, if you can afford it, they are the thing to buy.
- Genus GL GVCSMK Video Shoulder Mount [$949.99]
- Zacuto Z-FF-1 Z-Focus Single 15mm [$1,021.25]
- Zacuto Z-Crank Mini Crank Handle [$147.25]
- Cavision MB4169H3-M 4x4 Wide Hard Shade Matte Box with Three Metal Filter Trays [$499.95]
An Audio-Technica Shotgun and a Sony wireless have been chosen here. I have the Sony wireless unit and like it, so no disagreement there! I have no experience with the Audio-Technica, though I have a Sennheiser ME66/K6 which is similar. Personally, I don't like using shotguns any more; unless I have someone to point it at the subject!
- Audio-Technica B&H Kit AT-897 - Shotgun Microphone Basic Kit [$605.95]
- Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Lavalier Microphone Package (30/32 - 566 to 590MHz) [$449.95]
- 504HD Head w/546B 2-Stage Aluminum Tripod System [$749.99]
I have a Manfrotto tripod head and legs, and like it, though I've heard some people say they aren't as fluid as some better - and even more expensive - heads.
- Glidetrack Glidetrack HD - 6.5 ft (2m) [$562.95]
Is 2m too long to be workable?
- Bescor LED-95DK Dual 95W Kit [$229.00]
Reports of flimsy construction (hardly surprising at that price.)
He's also chosen some bags and other items, which I'll list here. Again, I have no experience with these items, so no real opinion; I seem to have amassed a mishmash of different bags from Kata and other makers. They aren't bad, but if I was starting from scratch I'd probably buy a more rational collection!
- Pearstone Digital Video Camcorder Bag [$79.95]
- Porta Brace PB-2500F Safeguard Field Production Vault Case (Blue) [$94.61]
- Porta Brace White Balance Card [$5.21]
Opinions? Post them below in the comments, or email email@example.com and I'll post them in an update.