The (FTC) Empire Strikes Back

The Federal Trade Commission has revised guidelines regarding endorsements and testimonials. This has provoked some reaction because of it's impact on bloggers. Most importantly:
A post from a blogger who receives cash or "in-kind payment" regarding a product (review) is considered an endorsement.

While I'm generally in favor of full disclosure, I am concerned that the guidelines seem to treat bloggers differently to "traditional media" i.e. it appears that if a blogger is given a free book to review they have to disclose that, while traditional media would not be expected to.

I don't see the difference. In fact, I can think of some journalists who I really think should do some disclosing: I'd love to see a full disclosure from Walt Mossberg of the value of software/hardware/meals/trips/t-shirts he's received from the companies he writes about.

In the mean time, here at NotesOnVideo I will be filling out the Federal Trade Commission's Blogger Remuneration Disclosure Form going forward, so look for excerpts from that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony GV-D200 review

Response: Which iPhone to Get?

Fixing Jello on the Phantom Quadcopter