Ad

Thursday, August 01, 2013

The Joy of Discovery

Sometimes, when you're wading through the detritus that is much of the Internet, it's easy to take for granted what an amazing thing it is. Of course, there are downsides. I'm quite convinced that the Internet will one day prove that there is no original thought. Have an idea? Search for it; you'll almost certainly find that someone already thought of it, or did it.

I have a Steadicam Smoothee that works with the iPhone 4. I used it a couple of times and then put it away and never used it again. Now you can buy an adapter for the GoPro, but I don't have one of those. Today I was thinking, 'maybe I could adapt it to work with a better camera?' Well, of course you can, and dozens of people were already doing that over a year ago. Hardly an original idea!

Actually, I'm not that upset to find out lots of other people have been doing it; because now I have something to copy and I'm much more likely to meet with success..


And there is the joy of finding something you didn't expect to find. Like this piece at Slate about fake photographs from the 1930's of World War 1 dogfights. Pretty amazing.

Maybe someone should fake some World War I movie footage? (I'm sure they have)


Which brings me to my next discover of the day. This article about animated GIFs of scenes from movies. Which raises the question: Why are animated GIFs a thing? I don't get it. I've noticed this seems to be a new 'thing', and I can't understand it. WEREN'T ANIMATED GIFS WHAT WE DID BEFORE WE COULD DO VIDEO ON THE INTERNET? Hello! The 1990's called and they want their Internet doodle's back.


When it comes to better late than never, Philip Bloom has posted his review of the Canon C100. At least he acknowledges it in the title: The better late than never Canon C100 review


Finally, thinking of crowdfunding? Here's a little warning about tax considerations: Understanding Crowdfunding Taxes
One thing is clear, however, other than the fees they collect, crowdfunding companies and platforms are not responsible for the money you raise through their service, the person crowdfunding is.



No comments: