Ad

Monday, February 22, 2010

timelapse deflicker

I've been experimenting with timelapse sequences, taken using a DSLR, and got pretty good results. The only problem is some noticeable flicker.

After some searching, I found a filter plug-in called GBDeflicker that seems to do a good job of removing - or minimizing - the flicker. And the price is reasonable too: just $79.00

That's the good news.

The bad news is that it doesn't work with Final Cut Pro, it only works with Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Premiere Elements. And I don't have a recent (i.e. HD capable) version of any of those.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the 30-day trial of Premiere Elements, and the 15-day trial of the software of GBDeflicker and gave it a run through. If you look at the two examples (before and after) you can see that the flicker has been reduced noticeably - and this is only with the standard settings, I didn't try experimenting with the parameters.

Now I have to figure out if I want to get one of those programs just to be able to use this plug-in.








http://www.granitebaysoftware.com/Products/ProductGBD.aspx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will soon have the same problem as I only use FCP. Have you found another option so far?

Michael Murie said...

This is all I have found so far.

Philip Bloom mentions another piece of software that's part of a package which is much more expensive, so that doesn't seem to be a solution either.

I'm waiting for the weather to improve so I can take some better sequences and try again!