Ad

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Quick Links

Atomos Ninja 2 review with Canon C100 | Paul Joy
I’m definitely going to be investing in one of these recorders, it’s obvious that the AVCHD codec in the C100 is damaging the footage and I would prefer to know that my shots are being stored without being degraded. As well as retaining better quality the ProRes files are also a lot easier to work with than the AVCHD files and require less horsepower during post production.


Sony PMW F55 | DC-Camera | Vimeo
We were fortunate enough to receive the new Sony PMW F55 and take some shots out in the field. We are very excited about the capabilities of this new camera so tune in and join us for DC-Camera's review of the Sony F55.


Sony PMW F55 from DC-Camera on Vimeo.


Kim Beamish gets to grips with documentary shooting on Panasonic's AF101 in Cairo | Kim Beamish | DSLR News Shooter
I wanted to be able to interchange lenses, I wanted the larger chip for the image quality and depth of field but I just wanted it in a video camera. Then I read the article by Sky News Beijing Bureau Cameraman Andy Portch on a year with the Panasonic AF101 and GH2 cameras. I was in love. The AF101 had everything I wanted: XLR inputs for audio, ND filters, it worked the same way as cameras I was used to, if I set it up right, and it had the ability to take photographic lenses giving me that hallowed depth of field. No one I knew had one, and I only had weeks before my departure to Cairo, so I bought it.


How I Filmed a Feature Length Cross Country Cycling Documentary on $2500 With No Assistants | David Strauss | Fstoppers
Since basic pan and tilt shots were far too limiting in variety, I got adventurous with my equipment and used my car as a tracking option for my third kind of shot. For the trip, my car was equipped with a roof rack and a rear bike rack. These came in handy for attaching and stabilizing a camera. I secured a camera to the bike racks using a Manfrotto magic arm clamp but found that the magic arm alone did not provide much steadiness to the shots. 


Best External DSLR Mics – Guest Post by New York Film Academy
| DSLR Filmmaker
But don’t panic. There are, surprisingly, some pretty great external mics for less than £100. They may not be top drawer, but they’re almost guaranteed to be better than your built-in mic and it’s less hassle than going down the separate audio recording route. Here we separate the wheat from the chaff and highlight four great value, entry-level external DSLR mics.


Wide Open Camera Combat Cage For The GoPro Hero 3 | Wide Open Camera
Here is the first mock up drawing for the new WOC Combat Cage For the GoPro Hero 3 camera. We are moving at lightning speed to get a color 3D rendition and the first prototype out to you. We are working on the details for a possible Kickstarter campaign to help get the first 100 made. Stay tuned here for updates as we get them


Avid® Rough Cut ‒ Eddie Hamilton | Avid | Vimeo
This previously missing gem with features editor Eddie Hamilton was recorded live on our stage at NAB 2012. Eddie shares his passion for the art of editing and gives a behind-the-monitor look at the techniques he used on the films X-Men: First Class and Kick-Ass.


The Making of a Documentary Series About Branding | Jude Charles
| Dare Dreamer
Building the Brand Part One was filmed early 2011. DSLRs were already the talk of the industry and I really loved the intimacy DSLRs provided when it related to documentaries / profile stories. So for this documentary, I decided to film with the Canon 5D MK II and the Canon 60D. The lenses I chose were all Canon, 16-35mm f2.8L / 24-70mm f2.8L / 85mm f1.8 / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II / 100mm f2.8L IS. 


10 Basic Things Indie Filmmakers Need to Know about Digital Cinematography Before Shooting | Ryan Koo | IndieWire
First published on his filmmaker-centric site NoFilmSchool.com in 2010 and updated consistently since then, Ryan Koo's digital cinematography guide has been downloaded as a PDF over 800,000 times and is available to read with modified content as web pages on the No Film School site.


The All-new Cinema 5D | Cinema 5D
The Cinema 5D website is going through some changes...
For the new cinema5D, founder Sebastian Wöber has teamed up with Johnnie Behiri and Nino Leitner as new owners of the company. With our joint expertise and industry network, we will try to provide a regular flow of filmmaking equipment reviews from literally under one roof in our newly founded office in Vienna, Austria.


Bridezilla Bootcamp mkII - UK Cinematography Workshop (Spoof Promo Film)
| FX Films | Vimeo
Promotional piece that portrays filmmaking as a kind of addiction:
It's finally here! On 9th and 10th April, Reel Vision, Jeff Wood Visuals and I (FX Films, FX Media, WedFilm Academy) will be presenting our second Bridezilla Bootcamp workshop. It will be a two day event at Heythrop Park, Oxfordshire and will be bigger, better and more refined than ever before!


No comments: