I posted before about the Sony XDCAM EX, a really cool, three-chip HD camcorder that records to solid-state memory, which I just can't afford. But I'd really like to get another HD camcorder so I can do a three camera shoot. Sony's HVR-HD1000 looks interesting. Here's the Pros and Cons (from my perspective):
1. Relatively inexpensive (about $1,600 right now)
2. Records to minitapes. (While recording to solid state memory is appealing, until I have a better way to backup and archive large amounts of material, tapes are an inexpensive and attractive medium. Still, if I get this, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last tape-based camera I buy.)
3. My other cameras are Sonys, so I should be able to figure out the thing and colors probably match better than buying another brand.
4. I really like using a shoulder mount camera for some things, and the other two cameras don't really work well that way.
5. To the uninitiated, it looks like a "real" camera.
1. Single chip, so resolution/color not quite as good as my FX1 (but better than the second camera, so that's a bit of a wash)
2. I'm concerned that while it has some manual controls, there's not a lot of them. A single ring on the lens functions as zoom, focus, and exposure, but you have to use the menus to switch.
3. Some people say it's seems cheaply built...but I haven't seen one in person yet.
So now I just have to figure out how to pay for one!
1. DVinfo Net: Forum for the HVR-HD1000
2. DVinfo Net: First shoot, first impressions for HVR-HD1000
Really interesting thread started by someone that bought the camera and put it through it's paces
3. CamcorderInfo: Sony Drops the Bottom on Pro HDV Camcorders with the HVR-HD1000U
Basic information about the camera and comments from Sony about who it's being marketed to.
4. TechThoughts: Sony's HD1000u Interesting, but lacking
An interesting read, but I think the guy is way too critical and looking at it from a professional perspective. This camera is really aimed at what I'd call the semi-pro market.
5. YouTube: Promotion video of SONY HDV HVR-HD1000