Ad

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The 90 second video

This weekend Philip Bloom posted a 90 second challenge; shoot a 90 second video about any single object over the weekend. He obliquely mentioned the project at the Saturday workshop I attended when he said that he'd left one of his cameras back at the hotel room making a timelapse of a clock in his hotel room.

Then that evening he challenged readers of his blog to shoot a 90 second video that weekend.

With nothing better to do, I decided to make a video of an object. I spent about three hours on shooting it; half of that was going to a fabric store to get the black cloth to shoot the object on. You can learn a lot from little projects:

  • I discovered that I need a macro lens, or at least a lens that focuses closer that any of the lenses I currently have. I couldn't get close enough with any of my lenses.
  • Black polyester fleece makes a good background fabric, and was cheaper than felt (it was on sale at the store!)
  • 10 yards of fabric is barely enough to block off the background behind a guitar
  • The fluid head I have may not be as smooth as I thought
  • If I want to do more things like this, I might have to get a Pocket Dolly, or something like it
  • On three shots there was a very slight flicker, and I'm not sure why. I was only using one light source - a Litepanels Micro LED light.




And see some of the other movies at Philip's blog: Shoot a short 90 second film on one object

No comments: