Ad

Monday, March 01, 2010

Color

Stu Maschwitz on his ProLost blog posted recently wrote about color correcting a shot of a cup of coffee beans! It makes for interesting reading because it talks about how Memory Color; how the brain assumes something is a certain color, and "auto-corrects" for us, causing our brain to sometimes do very unexpected things with an image:
The human brain is so tied in to our eyesight that we internally auto-correct for certain colors. This is the very definition of a memory color. For example, if you grew up in the United States, you know that a stop sign is red—so you tend to see an image of one as being red even if the color is way out of whack
He then goes on to explain:
When looking at the footage on my computer, I noticed a funny thing. The beans, which in life have a vivid, sumptuous brown tone, appeared gray-black on my screen. I almost didn’t notice, because I know they are brown, but on close inspection it was clear that I had been fooled by my brain into seeing what I knew rather than what was actually there.
It's an interesting read for the beginning colorist: Memory Color.

And if, like me, you're still just dipping your toe into the Apple Color waters, here's some interesting tutorials:

I read an interesting post from someone complaining about how dark Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was, and they didn't mean subtext. Ever since then, every time I watch it, I go "Oh my, that's dark!" Take a look at this frame from one scene:

No comments: